Seashore Learning Center
A Texas Education Agency Exemplary Campus!
1998-2002 TEA Recognized Campus
2002-2003 TEA Exemplary Campus
2004-2005 TEA Exemplary Campus
2005-2006 TEA Recognized Campus
2006-2007 TEA Exemplary Campus
2007-2008 TEA Exemplary Campus
2008-2009 TEA Exemplary Campus
2009-2010 TEA Exemplary Campus
2010-2011 TEA Exemplary Campus
The mission of SLC is to provide an educational facility dedicated to developing self-esteem, confidence, and social skills, while providing a foundation for a child's high level of academic achievement.
Seashore Learning Center is located on North Padre Island, Corpus Christi, Texas. Our campus is just a "stone's throw away" from the Gulf of Mexico. This makes Seashore an ideal campus for learning about marine and environmental science. Students can often be found combing the beaches of Padre Island for marine specimens and information to support in-class assignments. What a wonderful and ideal learning environment!
Why a Charter School?
- Charter schools are TUITION FREE, non-sectarian, and non-discriminatory in practice.
- Charter schools are established and governed according to Texas law. Charter schools are public schools that foster educational competition and offer parental choice in education.
- Charter schools have a significant amount of autonomy and are free to create many innovations in educational and administrative practices.
- Charter schools create competition between schools for students (and the money that follows the students) and through this healthy competition, improve the quality of education offered to all.
- Charter schools can be set up by school districts, non-profit organizations, educational institutions, or government entities.
- Charter schools must be approved by the Texas State Board of Education.
- The charter may be revoked if the Texas State Board of Education is not satisfied with the performance of the school.
- Charter schools offer teachers a chance to work in innovative, autonomous schools that use new, or alternative research-based teaching methods, philosophical approaches, assessments, and administrative practices not commonly available in traditional schools.
- See what the Texas Center for Educational Research said about Seashore Learning Center on pages 28-31 in their Profiles of High-Performing Texas Open-Enrollment Charter Schools, May 2003 TCER Link
Seashore Learning Center will not discriminate in admissions based on gender, national origin, ethnicity, religion, disability, academic, artistic, or athletic ability, or the district the child would otherwise attend.